Friday, August 14, 2026

Afterword: Trading Spirituality

When we look back on our lives, many times we can detect themes, just as we would in any fine novel or symphony.  Those themes capture the meanings of our lives: the ideas and visions that provide us with purpose.  As a young child, I voraciously read Greek mythology and knew all the gods and heroes.  Later I discovered the writings of Ayn Rand, Abraham Maslow, Colin Wilson, and G. I. Gurdjieff and felt inspired by their ideas of human potential.  Still later as a psychologist, I was drawn to the area of brief therapy and especially the solution-focused modalities that helped people build upon pre-existing strengths.  That found further voice in the research and practice tradition of positive psychology and most recently in my studies of spiritual teachings and practices.  At no point during this sojourn did I consciously move from one to the other; rather, each drew me and moved me forward--as a person and as a psychologist.

My hope is that something in this book has resonated with you and leads you to investigate, explore, and cultivate.  I have intentionally not tried to advocate any specific spiritual path, preferring to lay out ideas that could help you with your next steps.  The links in this text may be particularly helpful in that regard, as I've curated sources that strike me as informative and inspiring.

Not so long ago, the phrase "trading spirituality" would have been viewed as an oxymoron.  Among the traders I work with, there is growing recognition that how we lead our lives impacts how we interact with financial markets.  If this book accomplishes nothing more than a close look at that interaction, it will have served its purpose.  

Of course, we can make that close look a mutual one.  As the introduction emphasized, I encourage you to make use of the comments section to this blog book, laying out your questions and observations and sharing your experiences.  One of the main reasons I wrote this as an online book was to allow for the possibility that we can learn from one another; that your journey might inform mine and vice versa.

Over time, as I learn and experience new things, I will add sections to this book, so that it--like our lives--can be ever-expanding.  I appreciate your interest and look forward to hearing from you.  I have often said that the age at which we grow old is the age at which we decide that our best years are behind us.  May we be forever young!

Brett
====

NEXT PAGE:  APPENDIX

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this, and for freely giving it to the world.

    I have returned. I am sorry. I will remember and hold on to my gifts, doing them the honor that they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir, you have handed me a torch of a quest for wisdom i shall work to pass if forward. I pray that may you and yours be forever young in mind and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou! Detaching my self esteem/ego from my PnL has been an huge step for me. It led me down the path of reassessing my values and thats when I came across your book. I think it fits in with Carol Dwecks Mindset theme of growth vs fixed mindset. Another school that has helped me come to terms with the uncertainty of the markets is the stoics. (Question our judgements/values).I wonder if you have read much of that work? But overall I think you have hit the nail on the head, if trading isnt making you a better person then move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Doctor, this book has radically changed my mindset about live all around. You have a way that you communicate these ideas with such clarity that comes across as extremely genuine. People dont write books for the right reasons anymore, however this one is purely for the good of others and that is something to charish. Thank you for providing this to the community.

    ReplyDelete